[cs23021-2] RESOLVED: Tool-chain errors when building with Eclipse

Tom Farmer tfarmer3 at kent.edu
Sat Feb 13 21:28:23 EST 2010

Hey everyone,

This took many hours searching and dozens of reinstallations of Cygwin and
Eclipse. Finally I figured out what needs to be done to resolve the
following error:

**** Build of configuration Debug for project Lab3_Sum ****

****  WARNING: The "Debug" Configuration may not build  ****
****  because it uses the "Cygwin GCC"  ****
****  tool-chain that is unsupported on this system.  ****

****  Attempting to build...  ****

Eclipse doesn't know where to look for the 'Cygwin GCC' tool-chain, and
never asks you to tell it where it's located. Changing the Windows $PATH
variable isn't enough on its own.

Attached is a registry file that you need to import into your registry to
resolve the issue, it should work with Windows XP/Vista/7. I've personally
tested it on my laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate and my computer at work
running Windows XP SP3.

If you installed Cygwin into another directory besides C:\cygwin - you must
edit the file to change the directory (in 3 places) before importing. For
those whose anti-virus programs blocks a file download with a .reg
extension, copy the following section below, paste it into Notepad and save
it as 'cygwin_reg.reg' - without the quotes. Then double click it and click
ok/yes to import into the registry. Restart Eclipse and try to build a
program and the warning should no longer be there:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2]
"cygdrive prefix"="/cygdrive"
"cygdrive flags"=dword:00000022

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/]
"flags"=dword:0000000a
"native"="C:\\cygwin"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/bin]
"flags"=dword:0000000a
"native"="C:\\cygwin/bin"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/lib]
"native"="C:\\cygwin/lib"
"flags"=dword:0000000a

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Program Options]

Let me know if anyone needs help doing this. I was happy to finally get this
issue resolved!

Thanks,
Tom Farmer
tfarmer3 at kent.edu